Monday 1 March 2010

Protocol for establishing over training


With my increased training load I have become concerned about over training.  Whilst clearly not my speciality I thought I would use a two bout exercise protocol to make an objective, immediately available distinction between non-functional overreaching (NFO) and overtraining syndrome (OTS).  Essentially it would allow under performing athletes who were diagnosed with the suspicion of NFO or OTS to be included in my study. Recovery of the athletes was monitored by a sports physician ish (Ogg) for me to retrospectively distinguish NFO from OTS.
Two under performing athletes started and completed the protocol.   A two bout maximal exercise protocol was used to measure physical performance and stress induced hormonal reactions.  The male reaction appeared worse.
I was seeking to establish if the maximal blood lactate concentration was lower in OTS compared to NFO, while resting concentrations of cortisol, ACTH and prolactin concentrations were higher. However, sensitivity of these measures was low. The ACTH and prolactin reactions to the second exercise bout were much higher in NFO athlete compared to OTS and showed the highest sensitivity for making the distinction.  I managed to capture these results in one simple test and you can view the results on line at the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment