Monday 23 August 2010

Warning - Dehydration can cause serious damage

Some of you may recall that a few Saturdays ago the sun shone and it was slightly humid. Stuart didn't join our bunch but gave is a 1 min start and tried to chase us down for the rest of the day.  Lulling him into a false sense of security we stopped at the "Courtyard in Fintry" for a coffee and thus he was in our wheels again, although he didn't have time to stop for the coffee.  He had been dragging his carcass over the Crow.  Alas his enthusiasm got the better of him as he drove himself harder until he passed us on the Drymen Cottage climb.  Recuperating at home he ignored the cardinal rule of replacing fluid and by Tuesday was on a drip and hence he missed the Wed ride.  Now back with us and supposedly healthy he has posted this.  It just goes to prove that the hallucinogenic effects of dehydration are obviously long lasting.

Dear All,

Thanks for your company last night - I'd imagine that will be me bowing out for the rest of the season, with the possible exception of one last Saturday "century" ride in the autumn.  I'm sure after my performance last night you'll all be remembering me fondly. 

It was nice (and indeed gratifying) that there was unanimous consensus at the end of the ride that I was totally awesome. 

I know the bunch won't be the same without my leadership in future weeks but I urge you not to be too downbeat and still to go out and try and enjoy your riding.  I appreciate that it will be difficult and, rest assured, I won't think badly of you if there is the odd tear shed on the road out to Bishopton as a result of my absence.  I implore you, however, to put aside any overwhelming sentimentality as you approach the Westferry and remember that just as I was happiest when off the front of the bunch that you each should strive to work your hardest and make every moment count. 

Although most of my Westferry efforts were in a solo breakaway this season you should not feel embarassed if you find yourself in a breakaway with a compatriot.  If such a situation occurs you should follow my example and give them encouragement to surpass their own limited expectations and to work with you in honest endeavour.  In cycling terms, if I have been fortunate enough to see further and stand taller than any of you then it is purely because I, like my intellectual peer Newton, have stood on the shoulders of giants.  

With fond and affectionate regards, ever your humble and modest servant,

Stuart Reid


No comments:

Post a Comment