Thursday 5 May 2011

Wed 4th...a line in the sand

Take your turn on the front or Fuck off! Not quite politically correct but I think it conveys the message that the bunch wanted to put across.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. We like to ride well as a bunch. No accidents, look out for each other and respect the bunch. We choose to ride as a bunch because we trust and respect each other. Graham issued some rules let's try and follow them.

As it was it was another fabulous night. Lance had returned from his sojourn and our dedicated pro Graham was hurting the amateurs. Oh for the life of a pro rider. The ride out to the West Ferry was simple, through and off although a little fast. Aileen was half wheeling and causing Mark some pain as she wound the peleton up towards Bishopton. Looking left to the car park the open TT entrants were warming up, our own Cooke recording a 23.15 and Vandertoon not far behind with a mid 23.

A rumble down to the West Ferry and Voigts faked one of his usual attacks. All bluster with no substance.... A quad soon formed of Graham, Ewan, Crawford and Jens. Three working regularly with Jens taking the occasional rest what with being in his 5th decade now and age catching up on him. The run in to the end was fast and the trio broke away from Jens with Graham taking the tape.

Perversely the hill gave some rest bite and the group reconstituted at the top. An easy off from the top of the hill meant that Lance broke out his iPhone and was tweeting away until the peleton left Kilmacolm. Graham politely inviting riders through "take a fucking turn" yes please my good sir and the work started again. Lance attacked with vigour having found his legs again and drove us up the hill towards Houston. Jens attacked at the roundabout utilising his considerable mass in a game of momentum. Through and off was sporadic causing Graham to issue some more refined encouragement "come through or fuck off you bunch of lazy bastards". Quite how I found the oxygen to waste on a response surprised me. I confirmed that indeed my good man I was trying my best endeavouring to take a turn whilst on the rivet I think it came out thus "I am trying my fucking hardest". I am also at a loss as to what possessed me to try an attack 1,113 watts was my peak watts and I am certain it was the only time I dug like that last night. To be fair I only lasted 200m before the water collecting in the cheeks led me to conclude I was going to be sick. Find a wheel, find a wheel....Graham where are you when I need you. Salvation came in the form of Ewan towing G along. Through the S bends and G took the finish line again.

Boy has class in his legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment