Thursday 7 January 2010

Class, you either have it or you don't!

As I said on my Tweet last night, it's not about what's between your legs that counts, it's what's in them! This comment was made by a young man, perhaps wise beyond his years that goes by the name of Art and it was just before a 4up team TT with big Stu, David and I.  It seemed to resonate with me as I always worry about what is between my legs and perhaps if I spent less time selecting the bike then it might actually go faster, assuming of course that I substituted it for training and not eating.  As it was Art didn't have a great bike between his legs nor did he have a lot in them as I think he was first off the back which meant that David had to finish :-), although he had raced and won the day before. 


Back to the bike, as I was pondering, does it matter what you ride? Well, if it’s a result your after then clearly not as Gordon proved last night.  He turned up on a 7 spd vintage Marin Bear Valley circa late 80's, no suspension, v brakes and original tyres. He was certainly no worse off for riding it and had more in his legs than me.  He wasn't dropped by Sian or David, so it would seem not to matter.


In my defence however I enjoy riding nice bikes and the thought and effort in design and choice of parts. I see it as much as a hobby as training, but then I am minded to divert more attention to training this year! In summary I have concluded to concur with the young man, it's all about the legs and not about the bike.  The bike helps, but the engine is the most important part!   

No comments:

Post a Comment